Following a growing number of hacking attacks, Twitter has upgraded its security, making it more difficult for hackers to access your account. This upgrade is an optional two-stage login process, Jim O’Leary (Twitter’s product security team) blogged that, this gives Twitter users the option of confirming their identity through a code sent to their mobile phone.
How to activate the service:
- Log on to Twitter and go to the ‘Settings’ tab in the top right corner. Proceed to ‘Account Security’ and you will see an option to ‘Require a verification code when I sign in’.
- If you have not registered your phone there will be a link that will allow you to do so, click this link.
- When prompted, text ‘Go’ to 86444 (if in the UK). You should note that you can only associate one mobile with your account.
- You will receive confirmation that you mobile has been activated.
- You will now be able to click on ‘Require a verification code when I sign in’, note that you may need to refresh the page.
- Twitter will send further confirmation that your two-stage login process is now active.
Once activated you will need to enter your unique verification code, that will be sent to your mobile, every time you log on.
Source: The Telegraph